Monday, August 13, 2007

Getting By With a Little Help From Our Friends

I think it goes without saying that we are WAY over the Residence Inn. Even before the incident with the mysteriously wet pillows (Really, I think housekeeping was just being nice and washed our personal pillows. They smelled like roses.) We miss our own space and our own bed and our red wine glasses.

The glasses in our "kitchen" (more on that in a second) look something like this:



Only uglier. (FYI, I found that picture by googling ugly wine glasses.)

Those wine snobs are onto something. Red wine really does taste better when it is served in the right glass. I thought my usually questionable ability to select wines (I choose the pretty labels) had really bottomed out. Then D suggested that maybe it was the glasses. I'm going with that.

Now, the kitchen. It's nice to have a full size refrigerator and a real microwave and dishwasher, but, friends, our stove does not work. We had a frozen pizza in there for an hour and a half last night at 100 degrees more than the instructions called for and it STILL was not cooked. So our sustenance choices are eating out or stovetop/microwave dinners. Any suggestions for the latter would be appreciated. Kraft dinner? Not all that I remembered.

But! When we sent out the email letting everyone know we were moving to Chicagoland, our friend from way, way back (half our lives, yo), Kris, wrote back to say that she and her husband and 7-month-old son were also moving to Chicago just days later! I drove into the city (only half an hour on the expressways on a weekday! Yay!) last Tuesday and had lunch with Kris and her gorgeous, happy son. We successfully navigated the El and shopping on Michigan Ave with a stroller. I controlled my shopping impulses, but did find some couches we might neeeeeeeeed for our family room.

And yesterday got to have lunch with our friend Marty. Marty went to Western with D and made sure his resume got into the right hands when he applied at Indian Head. She now lives in Milwaukee. We met her halfway in Gurnee and had some delicious lunch. At least mine was ... ribs ... mmmm ... we also really, really miss our grill.

It's so good to be able to see some old friends again.

3 comments:

Graham said...

Wet Pillows?? I can't imagine why you are in a hurry to leave the Residence Hall...er...I mean Residence Inn. When I lived in a residence hall (nearly half my life ago, yo), Ramen Noodles were popular. Now just be sure to have a bloodpressure cuff handy as you are likely to go into a hypertensive crisis from all the sodium. You are in one of the finest culinary cities in the world...I suggest eating out!!!!

Graham said...

Damian is correct. It is the glass that makes the wine taste better. I suggest drinking it right from the bottle!!! ;)

Graham said...

Interestingly, when you follow the unsolicited advice offered in comment two, your concerns over wet pillows and undercooked frozen pizzas will simply fade away in a blurrrrrrrrr.